Hornby 75t Breakdown Crane – OO Scale
A basic but full of great play value for youngsters & modellers is this offering by Hornby. Modelled on Cowans-Sheldon breakdown crane & represents a 75 ton steam rail crane. Comes with two short runner wagons & a longer runner wagon for the cranes jib. In this crane wagon pack Hornby provide four basic outriggers to stabilise the crane when in use, these fit into slots on located in both sides of the crane chassis. Also a removable steam exhaust funnel is included, which in travelling mode fits upside down at the back of the crane.
The crane has two winding knobs to manually operate the jib & the lifting gear. The crane also can be swung through 360 degrees. This model is a good one for any one into modifying & super detailing models turning this basic model a more detailed project, such as conversion into diesel powered version.
Originally released back in 1971 there has been at least 13 different liveries produced, including black, red, yellow, & weathered versions. Also two versions have been produced for the Thomas The Tank Engine range.
- Standard tension lock couplers
- Basic detailing
- Play value with working manually operated jib
- Removable steam exhaust funnel
- Liveries: BR black, BR red, BR yellow, drab – Thomas Tank Engine
- Modelled on a steam powered crane / later converted to diesel power
- Era: 1950’s – 1970’s Steam powered / 1970’s onwards after conversion to diesel power.
- OO / 1:76 scale
Manufacturers Part Nos. Range from R3XX to R92XX
- R749 (two releases on this number – original jib runner & later on with new jib runner)
- R306 (Thomas Tank Engine)
- R9216 (Thomas Tank Engine)
Have one of these in your collection?
Let us know what you think, or share your photos via the comments below.
Summary The model is old tooling now but can be picked up cheaply at Toy Fairs / Swap Meets / online, Ebay, Model Shops etc. Great play value for young & old alike, features removable stabilisers, good decoration but no NEM couplings socket. Ideal for modellers want a upgrade project.