Bachmann Class 40 Retooled Version 2014 onwards (32-484 BR Blue 40 159)
Bachmann Class 40 Diesel Retooled Version 2014 onward
Back in 2014, Bachmann released an updated & retooled class 40 model to much acclaim with the model also winning Model Rail model of the year for 2014. The previous tooling of the class 40 was criticised for the shape of the nose, cab & roofline, as well as the height of the gap between the body & bogies. The retooled version by Bachmann set about correcting these areas on the old tooling. This new retooled version is much improved with a crisper detail, body shape & outline & also decreasing the the height gap between the bogies & body.
The model also upgraded to six wheel pick up & six wheel drive on the bogies. Model features working head & tail lights as well as cab lights. On the underside of the loco is two sets of switches which can switch on/off the interior cab lights & also switch on/off the tail lights. The model comes available in DCC ready for use on traditional DC controlled layouts, for DCC you’ll need a 21 pin decoder if converting this version to run on DCC. DCC onboard (factory fitted with a DCC decoder) & DCC sound fitted versions are also offered.
The model has separate fitted non powered roof fan with a mounting with electrical connection for taking a speaker speaker, if converting the model to sound. The motor is Bachmann’s standard five pole can motor with twin brass flywheels, which in turn connected to the gear bogie towers via drive shafts. Performance is very smooth with it’s weight of 632g giving it good grip excellent haulage capabilities. On our layout 4% grade incline it perform well hauling 8 mk2 coaches with ease up it. Elsewhere on the layout, the model had no problem with the Peco medium radius crossovers & also no issues on the second radius curve on the hidden fiddle yard return loop.
Other details include detailed bufferbeams, fine scale profile wheelsets, wire hand rails, windscreen wipers, flush glazing, finely detailed grilles, sprung buffers, supplied bag of extra detail parts is included which amongst other bits separate painted frost grilles. Bachmann have modelled split box, central headcode box & also disc front nose variants. The cab features interior detail and also a driver figure fitted in one cab. The model also features NEM coupling boxes with small removable tension lock couplings. Liveries include BR green & BR blue.
- Fine-scale wheels
- Improved tooling
- All-wheel pick-ups
- Heavy diecast chassis for a good level of traction/haulage
- DCC 21 pin DCC decoder socket
- DCC sound fitted option
- DCC onboard option
- Working cab lights
- working head & tail lights
- Sprung buffers
- NEM coupling sockets
- Fine printed decoration
- Super detailed separate fitted parts.
- Driver figure fitted in the cab
- Era 1958 to 1988
- Liveries: BR Blue, BR Green, Weathered versions also offered.
Model featured in this article is 32-484 in BR blue 40159
- 32-483 D338 BR green with spilt headcode boxes
- 32-481 D369 BR green with centre headcode box
- 32-484 40159 BR blue
- 32-482 97407 Auerol BR blue weathered (preserved)
- 32-486 40142 BR blue Split Headcode boxes (also sound fitted version)
- 32-480 Disc Headcode D248 BR Green (Late Crest)
- 371-180A Headcode D248 BR Green (Late Crest)
- 371-180ASF Headcode D248 BR Green (Late Crest)
- 371-184 Disc Headcode 40012 ‘Aureol’ BR Blue
- 32-487 Disc Headcode D213 ‘Andania’ BR Green (SYP)
- 32-487SF Disc Headcode D213 ‘Andania’ BR Green (SYP)
[wordbay]Bachman Class 40 [/wordbay]
Have one of these in your collection?
Let us know what you think, or share your photos via the comments below.
Summary Model of the year 2014. Much improved & retooled model, excellent performance & attention to detail.